|HomeVacation PlannerLove StoriesDiscount CardMapsInsider's Guide|
Hints & Tips
Ask the Big Kahuna
Best Hidden Places
10 Best of Hawaii
Caramelized Banana Tart (with coconut chantilly)Source: Head Baker Jason Sunada, Princeville Hotel
2 qt milk
2 c heavy cream
8 oz sugar
2 bananas, sliced
8 egg yolks
1 c sugar to caramelize
1 tart shell, blind baked
5 oz cornstarch
8 oz sugar
4 oz butter (soft)
1 oz vanilla
1 lb coconut flakes
1. Sift cornstarch and sugar and combine with yolks and eggs.
2. Boil milk and sugar.
3. Temper egg mixture into milk.
4. When mixture becomes thick and begins to bubble, remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla and coconut.
5. Set aside in refrigerator to cool.
6. Whip heavy cream until soft peaks form.
1. Fold cream into custard to make chantilly cream.
2. Spread chantilly evently in tart shell.
3. Lay bananas on top and sprinkle with sugar.
4. Use torch to caramelize sugar.
Explore more of the "Taste of Hawaii Recipe" Index...
Or reserve your table today: Big Island | Kauai | Maui | Oahu